THE SOUTH WEST FARMERS COOPERATIVE UNION (SOWEFCU), Cameroon
THE SOUTH WEST FARMERS COOPERATIVE UNION-(SOWEFCU)
P.O BOX 381
BUEA ROAD KUMBA
SOUTH WEST REGION
CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION No SW/UC/25/094
It is the farmers union that promotes and encourages agriculture in the south west region of Cameroon. It was created in 1979 under the 1973 legislation relating to rules and regulations governing cooperative societies in Cameroon. It has a membership of societies all in the south west region of the country.
Its main mission is to organize production and marketing of agricultural produce of member societies.
Main objectives are as follows:
- Enhance production and marketing of produce of member societies
- Build the capacities of member societies
- Operate a supply service scheme of farm inputs for members and;
- Promote cooperation
The above objectives are realized through the following:
- Representation and advocacy
- Information exchange and dissemination
- Empowerment and democracy
- Production and diffusion of planting materials
- Collection and assembling of produce
- Financing, quality control, transportation.
SOWEFCU’s management setup is democratically controlled with a general assembly 50 mandated delegates from all its 25 member societies.
The policies of the union are approved in a bi-annual assembly where other issues are also discussed. Among the 50 mandated delegates, 13 of them are elected and are responsible for policy guidance and program oversight.
They sit four times a year or more as need, to set program guidelines financial policy and to approve all appropriations under the leadership of its president.
Its general manager is responsible for coordinating its management support team that is made up of the following units
- The production unit
- The marketing unit
- The administration and finance unit
- The communication unit
- The monitoring and evaluation unit.
Since its creation, SOWEFCU has achieved the following: Strengthened the functional and organizational capacities of its member societies, improved agricultural production and productivity, increased knowledge through information and data diffusion, etc.
Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.